I am Laura Flynn. I’m a 51 year old mother of 8, grandmother of 2.
I was about 223 lbs at my highest weight, five years ago. I had tried to lose weight both with programs and on my own, and did lose some a few times, only to regain it. I just didn’t have anything left in me to do it again. I had given up. If you look carefully at my “before” pictures, you will see even through a smile, in my eyes there is a defeated look. Being overweight made me feel paralyzed in life. I wasn’t living. I was merely existing day to day.
A striking series of events began to take place in my life. My Mom was at the end of her battle with cancer. She spent her last years praying for our family. She promised when she got to heaven to do good things for our family. My mother died 5 years ago, March 1st. In NJ for her funeral, I found myself praying to the Lord for a renewal in Body, Mind and Soul. While there, I received a phone call from First Coast News that I had been chosen as a finalist in an upcoming weight loss Contest. I made an appt. for an interview and found out the contest ended on June 7th, my mother’s birthday. I remember thinking this was Mom-at-work already!
During the 12 week contest, with the help of a trainer, and on a low-fat diet, I lost 35 lbs. By the end of August I had lost a total of 60 lbs, which I maintained 2 years. I still had another 25 lbs to lose, and found myself stuck. I really couldn’t cut anymore calories without feeling continually hungry and deprived. It was then that I read the book, “Grain Brain” by Dr. David Perlmutter, and also found out about gut health, and began making my own probiotic drinks. The discontinuing of grains coupled with my probiotic drinks (kombucha, water kefir and jun) literally melted off the last 25 lbs faster than I could imagine. My diet completely changed during the last 3 years from lowfat to actually a very high fat and satifying diet. What a joy! I could actually EAT and stay slim.
During this time, I regained LIFE.
With God’s grace, I found myself, a deeper spiritual life and joy again.
My story came full circle to me one day as I waited for a moment to be checked in at the gym’s front desk. I glanced up on the wall and saw a “Mind~ Body~ Spirit” emblem on the wall.
It was in that moment that I recalled the prayer in NJ, and realized it had been fully answered.
So most people want to know, “How did you do it”? Here are some basic points that were pivotal for me. If you are serious about changing your health:
· Give up excuses If you want to change, you cannot remain the same!
Nix sugar In all it’s forms,
* Stresses the Liver: “When we eat fructose, it goes to the liver. If liver glycogen is low, such as after a run, the fructose will be used to replenish it (3).However, most people aren’t consuming fructose after a long workout and their livers are already full of glycogen. When this happens, the liver turns the fructose into fat (2). Some of the fat gets shipped out, but part of it remains in the liver. The fat can build up over time and ultimately lead to Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.”
* Increases Bad Cholesterol and Triglycerides
* Can contribute to Leptin Resistance (and then weight gain, cravings, sleep trouble, etc)
* Creates an addictive sugar response in the brain
* Doesn’t fill you up and instead encourages you to eat more
* Remove Grains from your diet. Read “Grain Brain” by Dr. David Perlmutter and “Wheat Belly” by Dr. Davis.
They are highly motivating and give all the recent studies that will encourage you to do so!
* Add in: High quality protein: meat, nuts, seeds
* Add in: High quality fats: Extra-virgin Olive Oil, avocado, butter!
* Add in: Lots of vegetables, especially greens of every kind. Sprouts are a powerhouse of nutrition. Look up “Superfoods” and begin incorporating them into your diet. It’s not just about what NOT to eat. There are PLENTY of new things to add in and you will begin to change your habits and never miss the “old” food. Things that I eat now that I didn’t have before: Hemp seed, Maca powder, Chia seed, goji berries, raw honey, kombucha, water kefir, jun and spirulina, just to name a few.
· Add in: EXERCISE! You can do much more than you think you can! You need more exercise than you think. It is important to be moving your body. I do workout hard and often. This has been pivotal in my success. I still would say that eating is 90%, but that 10% exercise must be enough to boost your metabolism. You can do it.
· Drink lemon water. It’s very detoxing! Adding a Tbsp/day of a good quality Apple Cider Vinegar (such as Bragg’s) is also a boost.
· Eat fruit- keep servings to 2 servings per day.
We’d love to hear about your weight loss journey! We are all ears!